Who can apply for an International Foundation programme
The International Foundation programmes at St Andrews are open to overseas students with a high school qualification that is not recognised for application to our degree programmes.
To apply for an International Foundation programme, you will normally need to be all of the following:
- Designated as 'Overseas' for fees purposes by the University. Students with 'Home' or 'Rest of the UK' fee status are not eligible to study an International Foundation programme. Find out more about fee status.
- Due to leave school soon or have achieved a high school qualification within the last three years.
- Studying or have completed a national high school qualification to meet the academic requirements for the programme you are applying for:
If you are ready to apply, visit our 'How to Apply' page.
If you wish to check your eligibility before applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You should not apply if you have:
- a qualification that is recognised for degree entry, irrespective of the grades achieved. If you have three A-Levels, the HKDSE, a full IB Diploma or any qualification from the EU (excluding Greece and South Cyprus), you will not be eligible for an International Foundation programme.
- previously studied on a foundation programme in the UK
- previously studied at university.
International Foundation programmes cannot be used as ‘insurance’ for a degree application at St Andrews. If you have qualifications that are accepted for degree entry, you will not be considered for an International Foundation programme. Therefore, you should apply to either a degree-level programme or a foundation-level programme, not both.
If you are not sure which level you should apply to, please email email@example.com for advice.
If you are not eligible for International Foundation
If you are not eligible for an International Foundation programme, you may be interested in exploring our access and outreach programmes. Our Admissions team can offer advice on your individual circumstances - contact them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.