Designed to develop core skills in data science, the programme covers a mix of practical and theoretical issues integral to careers in many data driven sectors. Students will learn how to approach real-world data problems, applying their newfound skills in critical thinking, problem solving and analysis.
- PgCert, PgDip, and MSc options available for self-paced study.
- Start in September 2023 or January 2024.
- Learn sought-after coding skills, including Python.
What you will study
- The programme will teach research methods in data science and help you to understand contemporary issues in the field.
- You will discover methods of datamining, from theory to practical understanding.
- The programme will help you to understand how to create effective information visualisations and how to engage critically with visual displays of data.
- You will employ the full Data Science workflow from data acquisition and processing, through model development and selection, to final deployment and maintenance.
- You will learn optimisation techniques, how to curate and utilise large quantities of data, and how to model and simulate complex systems of data.
How will you be taught?
- You will learn through project and practical work, helping you to understand real-world applications of Data Science.
- Learn through a mix of led and independent study, with synchronous and asynchronous teaching.
- You will have the opportunity to engage in a weekly live panel discussion that will cover data science concepts and specific questions from students.
- Students on the MSc course will undertake a dissertation in data science. Projects based at an employer or sponsor are welcomed (subject to eligibility criteria).
Leadership skills and project management
Cultivate your leadership skills, building your ability to reflect on feedback, to manage projects, and to persevere in the face of challenges.
Problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills
Improve your data literacy, whilst learning to think creatively and use your imagination to formulate, design and develop innovative approaches to data analysis.
Knowledge and understanding of programming
Develop specific coding skills in areas such as Excel, Python, Mathematica, Matlab, and mapping.
The Data Science programme will help learners to prepare for, and develop in, a range of careers in data driven sectors and industries. Graduates will leave with sought-after skills across practical and theoretical aspects of data science.
Join our virtual information session.
Meet our staff, learn more, and ask questions about how our courses can work for you.